UPDATED on 3/14/2016. 8:35pm
This short video has gone viral. It has more than 48,000 views on my Youtube channel, more than 595,000 Views on Shaun King Facebook’s page and thousands more on Shaun King Twitter’s account. Monday, March 14, 2016.
Sunday, March 13, 2016. New York City – Author, Feminist, Teacher and Scholar, bell hooks, says: “I can no longer be a Hillary Clinton supporter!”
I attended the conversation: “Man Enough: Theory and Practice In and Outside the Classroom” in 2014 at The New School in New York City. This was an open dialogue on masculinity with bell hooks, Oman Frame (Junior High Homebase teacher & Middle School Director of Equity and Justice, The Paideia School), Darnell Moore (writer and activist), Ron Scapp (educator and author), and Kurt Voss (CEO, AmeriLux International, LLC & Founder, Cassandra Voss Center, St. Norbert College).
(This video has gone viral. It has more than 43,000 views on my Youtube channel, 539,737 Views on Shaun King Facebook’s page and thousands more on Shaun King Twitter’s account. Sunday, March 13, 2016.)
The video was filmed by The New School. I share it with the sole purpose of informing the American people.
bell hooks says:
“I’ve talked a lot in these past few days about having once been a very pro-Hillary Clinton supporter.
But finding at this stage of life and this stage of her politics that I can no longer be a Hillary Clinton supporter, in the name of feminism.
There are certain things that I don’t want to co-sign in the name of feminism that I think are militarist, imperialist, white supremacist, whether they are conducted by women or men.
And I think that having to go through those changes — and having to be compassionate towards yourself, because there are a lot of women that are feeling in political turmoil right now, because of our history of supporting feminists, supporting a woman, looking forward to the day when we can say “oh, we have a woman president,” and that constant challenge about identity politics versus who are you and what do you stand for?
That’s why (James) Baldwin says, it’s not a question of whether you’re gay or straight or black or white, what do you stand for? Who are you? How can you know that? And operate from that position of power.”
Some comments under the video are:
* “Bernie is the best feminist in this race.”
* “Profound and powerful. Professor bell hooks reminds us that we should support feminism, not imperialism. Ms. Hillary Clinton’s actions in Honduras alone are an indictment of what “she stands for”, and it’s not compatible with the tenets of feminism.”
* “Thank you for sharing this. I just broke up with the DNC & it was a really big decision for me. It was nice to hear Bell Hooks’s words cuz I couldn’t agree with her more.”
* “So glad to hear this from one of my favorite authors.”
* “Thank you for posting this!!! go bernie go!!! every vote for hillary is a vote for trump.”
* “Awesome news. Now if she would go ahead and support Bernie Sanders, that would be GREAT! We need to find out if she will endorse Sanders.”
* “”Who are you and what do you stand for?” If there was ever a time to ask that, it’s now.”
According to Mother Jones, in 1996, Gloria Steinem made Bernie Sanders an “Honorary Woman.” In the same event, a former state senator, told the audience that “a feminist is a person who challenges the power structure of our country” and “Bernie Sanders is that kind of feminist.”
Watch the video bellow:
During the congressman’s 1996 re-election campaign, feminist writer Gloria Steinem traveled to Burlington to endorse Sanders and declare him an “honorary woman.”
Leave a comment bellow and share this post on social networks. You can also “LIKE” my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, follow me on Flickr and subscribe to my Youtube channel. You can contact me directly by filling out this form.
Deja un comentario abajo y comparte este artículo en las redes sociales. También puedes darle “me gusta” a mi página en Facebook, seguirme en Twitter, sigueme en Flickr y subscríbete a mi canal de Youtube. Puedes ponerte en contacto conmigo directamente llenando esta forma.